Saturday 10 March 2018

Then I was gone

After realization dawned on me one particular chilly morning, I couldn't put her out of my head. I had to see her, see how she fared through the day. If she walked the same pavements we used to walk together. If she still wore that dimple whenever she burst out laughing. I had to see if she, if at all, she remembered me.
So I shadowed her. You see, a lot of time had passed between her and me. I had wandered, flittered, writing new chapters, etching new memories. Listless, aimless, wanting to label the existence I had carved out for myself. Believing that these were independent dimensions. Hers and mine. They could never collide. They ran parallel to each other. Simple physics. I always quantified everything. Yet somehow I couldn't quite fit her in any of my equations. She just existed, like a constant.
And so I went back. Retraced my steps to where I knew I would find her. I stood back and I watched. Watched her, smiling and waving to someone. Nodding in agreement to something being said. And then she looked past me. For a moment, I imagined a glint of recognition. Of pain, of haunting. And then it was gone. And then I was gone. 

No comments: